Green algae and white fungus are a common result of conditions such as poor air circulation (from tiny particles in the air), light, and damp soil conditions that help it thrive. While it can be unsightly, it does not impact the health of your many plants if they are already established (they are safe to consume).
How to remove algae and fungus:
*Only try one of the below natural remedies:
- Hydrogen Peroxide - Gently scrape the tops of the SeedPods with a paper towel or Q-tip. Pour 1/2 tsp of Hydrogen Peroxide on the tops of each SeedPod to kill off the bacteria (avoiding the center seeds). *Note you should only do this once and the fungus should subside over the next week or so. If needed, you can reapply case-by-case where needed in small amounts.
- Cinnamon - First, gently scrape the tops of the SeedPods with a paper towel or Q-tip. Sprinkle about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon on the tops of the exposed soil (avoiding the center seeds) and the fungus will retreat. This is a natural and very effective fungicide which will kill any remaining fungus or mold.
How to prevent algae and fungus from forming:
- Water - Fill your garden to 75% full during initial planting, and ensure that you always let your garden drain completely to 0% before adding more water. It is never good to maintain one water level at all times as the plants will be unable to regulate the water on their own.
- Temperature - Plants are sensitive to extreme temperatures, so please ensure that your garden is away from any amount of cold air drafts, AC, and even windows. Cold air can severely slow or even stunt your plant's growth and helps fuel fungus growth. Similarly, ensure your plants are away from any hot sources of air such as near heaters or warm windows. If left in a warm location, please ensure that there is plenty of airflow in the room.
- Air circulation - Good air circulation also helps reduce the presence of algae/fungus. Increase airflow in the room by turning on a fan for a few hours a day or temporarily move your garden to an area that may have more airflow i.e near a vent or an open walkspace.
- Please contact us if you have further questions or need more tips on how to control algae or fungus growth.