For our 'Plant Your Own' SeedPods, we have a few tips to help you select the best seeds to grow in the SmallGarden. Plant Your Own SeedPods are made from an engineered soil that includes a pH balanced growing media and time-release plant food.
- Drop 4 to 6 seeds into each empty SeedPod, ensuring that the seeds are placed in the 'dibble' (the small hole in the middle of the pod).
- Certain seed varieties prefer to be 'covered' for germination, if this is the case for your seeds you can tear off a small piece of SeedPod material from the outside of the pod and gently place over the dibble
When sourcing SeedPod-compatible seeds, look for:
1. Short plant varieties that mention growing less than 10 inches: They’re more compact and ideal for indoor gardening.
2. Seeds that require a medium level or direct level of light: SmallGarden doesn’t experience weather, meaning its light doesn’t move the way sunlight does. The seeds it feeds should prefer direct light.
3. Seeds that mention “greenhouse” or “container” growing: These are made for stable and controlled environments (like SmallGarden).
4. Seeds that note they can be hydroponically grown: Our SeedPods use a hybrid growing method of hydroponic and specially created soil, and mildew-resistant seeds can help prevent diseases low air flow environments are prone to.
A great resource for sourcing your own seeds is Johnny's Seeds - you can also use the filters on the right side of their website to identify plant types with the above qualities.